More Rough Sleepers Into Secure Homes

Friday 24 September 2021

SGCH has supported 35 people who were previously sleeping rough, one year on from the establishment of the NSW Government’s landmark Together Home program.

General Manager, Customer and Communities, Barb McKenna said SGCH received $3.6 million for up to 40 places to help deliver the program which is supporting some of the most vulnerable people in the community.

Ms. McKenna says “Together Home is a great program that builds upon the emergency response to COVID-19 to ensure more people are safely housed. SGCH is working closely with the Department of Communities and Justice and our support partners in Newtown Neighbourhood Centre, St Vincent de Paul and the Salvation Army to provide wrap around support for participants in the program.”

The NSW Government has invested a total of $122.1 million in the Together Home program, which is expected to help 1,050 people off the street and into housing.

Delivered in partnership with community housing providers, specialist homelessness services and healthcare agencies, the program involves securing housing for rough sleepers from the private rental market and connecting them to tailored support services to address their individual needs.

Minister for Families, Communities and Disability Services Alister Henskens said the program has already had a profound impact for the hundreds of people housed.

“The past 12 months have been incredibly challenging, but the success of this program demonstrates that we can support people to break the cycle of homelessness,” Mr Henskens said.

“Together Home is not just about putting a roof over their head, but instead addressing the complex needs of individuals, to ensure they get the support they need to improve their health and wellbeing.”

Anyone who is homeless or is at risk of homelessness can call Link2home on 1800 152 152 for information and referrals to services, including temporary accommodation.

MEDIA: Michelle Moore-Fonseca 02 9001 4303