SGCH Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube Linked In Linked In Weibo Wechat Email Phone Next Scroll to move Touch to move edit Play Play Pause Volume Mute Zoom Open Close Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Graphic of parent and child Graphic of hand holding heart Graphic of person holding a tree Graphic of three people Graphic of computer screen Graphic of person next to house Graphic of office building Graphic of three people Graphic of parent with child holding balloon Graphic of house Graphic of gavel Graphic of three people Graphic of traffic cone Graphic of three people Graphic of heart made up of four puzzle pieces Graphic of bulldozer
Five story building with gardens outside shown from footpath

Social Housing

Social Housing is long-term rental housing for people on very low to moderate incomes that may be experiencing ‘rental stress’ in the private market.

It can be provided by community housing organisations like SGCH, the state government, or by Aboriginal housing organisations.  

Applying Through Housing Pathways

In NSW there is one process to apply for social housing.  This central system, called ‘Housing Pathways’, makes sure the same eligibility rules are used for everyone.

Housing Pathways results in a single waiting list that is used across the state. You can choose whether you would like to be housed with Department of Communities and Justice – Housing (DCJ Housing) or a community housing provider (CHP). If you mark that you are willing to accept either, this may increase your chances of being housed, because you will receive offers from more organisations when a suitable property becomes available.

To apply for Social Housing, please go to the Housing Pathways website at You can apply for social housing online, or over the phone on 1800 422 322.

Apply for Social Housing online